Art Instructor Application
The Art Studio at Gladstone House is a space for creativity and interaction. Located on the Studio Level of the hotel, the Art Studio is a bright, open 480 square room with 2 spaces for resident artists and a 12-seat classroom area. The Art Studio offers a unique opportunity for hotel guests to interact with artists, and for guests and community members to participate in hands-on art workshops and activities.
Gladstone House seeks instructors to propose beginner and intermediate art and craft courses and workshops for adults, for day or evening, weekdays or weekends. Courses can be 4 to 8 weeks in duration, 2 to 3 hours per class. Workshops can be 2 to 6 hours. Instruction is in person (with current public health measures: masks indoors, proof of vaccination for instructions and participants).
Courses and workshops run based on minimum registration numbers.
Courses and workshops will begin in Winter 2022.
The classroom area seats 12 at sturdy metal tables. Tables are 30×60 inches, arranged in pairs to form a 60×60 inch table, with 4 chairs per table. There is one 30×60 inch table and chair for the instructor.
The Art Studio is located on the Studio Level, one floor below the main floor. It is accessible by stairs only.
Types of media suitable for the space:
Techniques/media that are dust-producing or noisy are not a fit. Suitable media include:
- 2D work including drawing, painting, collage, mixed media, illustration, block printing, photography
- Textiles including embroidery, knitting, needle felting
- Jewellery such as beading, wire work (hand tools only, no torches)
Seasonal and holiday-themed workshops will be considered.
The semi-public nature of the space and the furniture configuration makes the studio unsuitable for life drawing.
The instructor/students must provide all materials and equipment. Gladstone House does not provide storage for supplies for multi-week classes.
Gladstone House provides:
- administration – course registration and payment, class lists
- the furniture listed above
- free WiFi
- listing on Gladstone House website
- one social post to promote
Instructor provides (upon hiring):
- course outline – overview and weekly plan (if multi-week)
- materials list (depending on the course or workshop, students may provide own materials or materials may be provided and included in course/workshop price)
- promotion of the course or workshop through own social channels/email
Instructors will be paid $35-$45 per instructional hour, depending on experience. An additional flat fee may be provided for prep time. Any travel and parking expenses are the responsibility of the instructor.
Applicants must be:
- professional artists/craftspeople with experience teaching the proposed course or workshop
- committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for students
- committed to encouraging creativity and developing skills – courses and workshops should lead to individual creations, not copies of the instructor’s samples
- CV, including link to website or artist Instagram
In a single PDF:
- Cover letter including a brief bio and scheduling preference (day of week; morning, afternoon or evening)
- Course/workhop title, description, number of hours per week and number of weeks. For multi-week courses, a weekly plan is NOT required to apply, however the description should include topics and techniques, and what skills the student can expect to have developed by the end of the course. Workshops should conclude with a finished item(s).
- Draft list of materials that students are required to provide and approximate cost of materials (total).
- Applicants can submit up to 3 courses and/or workshops.
To Apply, for questions, or to request an alternate format, please contact:
Lee Petrie, Curator, Gladstone House, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate Artist Instructor in the subject of your email.
Applications are due by 5:00PM (EST) on December 20, 2021