Call to Artists
DesignTO AT GLADSTONE HOUSE
Deadline to apply: October 6, 2023
Gladstone House seeks artwork for exhibitions as part of the 2024 DesignTO Festival. Gladstone House’s 2024 exhibition theme is Inside and Out, referring to exteriors and interiors of the built environment: urban, suburban, or rural. We’re looking for work of or about subjects including architecture, interiors, streetscapes and mapping – literal or metaphorical.
Exhibition dates: January 5 – April 28, 2024
Exhibition spaces: Stairway Gallery (2 person exhibition, 5-7 works per person), 2nd Floor Lounge (1 person exhibition, 3-5 works), Lobby (1 work). Other spaces may be added.
Artist fees: Stairway Gallery $400, 2nd Floor Lounge $300, Lobby $200. Fees for other spaces may vary.
Media: Media could include drawing, printmaking, collage, painting, photography, textiles framed under glass/plexi, printed on dibond or other rigid substrate, or works on canvas or panel. Time-based work and work requiring power cannot be accommodated.
Size: maximum width 60 inches, maximum height 60 inches. These spaces are better suited to medium to large work – works under 24 inches wide are not suitable.
- This call is open to professional artists* in Toronto and region (approximately 50km radius from Toronto).
- Gladstone House is committed to equity and diversity. Qualified applicants with diverse identities and lived experiences are encouraged to apply.
- In order to offer opportunities to more artists, artists who exhibited work at Gladstone House in 2021-2023 are not eligible to apply.
* The Canada Council defines a professional artist as an artist who:
- has specialized training in the artistic field (not necessarily in academic institutions)
- is recognized as a professional by his or her peers (artists working in the same artistic tradition)
- is committed to devoting more time to artistic activity, if possible financially
- has [some] history of public presentation or publication [including exhibitions as part of post-secondary coursework or thesis]
- The artist is required to deliver and pick up work from Gladstone HouseArtwork will be installed by the Hotel.
- While on site, artwork is covered by the Hotel’s insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
Applying is easy! Send an email to the Curator Lee Petrie (firstname.lastname@example.org) and attach one (1) PDF with all of the following:
- Phone number
- City of residence
- Instagram and website
(for your art practice)
- Artist bio
(75 words max) (if your bio is on your website, provide the link instead)
Tell us a bit about yourself and your work – summarize key details of your work, what inspires you and informs your work, any special materials or techniques you use. Gladstone House encourages applications from artists with diverse identities and lived experiences. You may choose to share how you identify here. This information will be viewed by the Curator and will not be shared elsewhere without your consent.
- Statement about the work
(100 words max) (if your statement is on your website, provide the link instead)
Describe the ideas and themes you explore, why these ideas interest you, and your materials.
- Images with captions or image list
Include up to 5 images that relate to the theme. Captions or image list must include title, media, size framed, date completed.
(if your CV is on your website, provide the link instead)
- How did you hear about this call?
Email from Curator
Word of mouth
QUESTIONS AND ACCESSIBILITY
Questions? Please email Lee Petrie, Curator, Archive Hospitality email@example.com
If you need an alternative method of applying, please email Lee to discuss options.