Call to Artists
Exhibition Dates: January – April, 2023 (unless otherwise noted)
DesignTO Art Projects
Gladstone House and The Broadview Hotel seek artwork for exhibitions and installations as part of the 2023 DesignTO Festival. All exhibitions will run beyond DesignTO, for at least 4 months. There are several opportunities, with different requirements and timelines.
#1 Gladstone House: Stairway Gallery and 2nd Floor Gallery
The Broadview Hotel: The Civic Restaurant
Exhibition Dates: January 4 – April 24, 2023 (4 months)
Gladstone House is Toronto’s oldest operating hotel. Renovated in 2020-21, the hotel’s aesthetic honours its past while incorporating contemporary design. Work should address ideas of past and present, conceptually or materially. This could include using old or traditional materials or techniques in a new or nontraditional way, interpreting a traditional subject in a new way, reflecting on history through a modern lens, or otherwise combining or interweaving old and new.
Media could include: framed works on paper under glass/plexi, photography (framed under glass/plexi, printed on dibond or other rigid substrate), or works on canvas or panel. Time-based work and work requiring power cannot be accommodated.
Maximum Size: 48×60 inches (landscape or portrait)
Artist fee and approximate number of works:
- Stairway Gallery (Gladstone House), 2 artist exhibition, approximately 7 medium to large works per artist, $400 per artist
- 2nd Floor Lounge (Gladstone House), 1 artist exhibition, approximately 5 medium to large works, $300
- The Civic Restaurant (The Broadview Hotel), 2-4 works, $260
Gladstone House Stairway Gallery
#2 Gladstone House Melody Bar backlit panels
Exhibition Dates: January 4 – June 30, 2023
The Melody Bar features nightly entertainment including live music, cabaret, burlesque, and karaoke. It’s open Sunday for our famous Drag Brunch. The room includes 8 backlit panels, wall-mounted amongst video screens in the bar. The boxes currently feature details from album covers. We’re looking for new artwork. Artwork should complement the semi-industrial aesthetic of the space, as well as its use as a live entertainment venue.
Designs must be provided in digital format but can be created by digital or analogue techniques including drawings, prints (eg. lino cut or woodblock), or photographs. Strong, graphic designs with good contrast of black and white (less grey) work best. We will work with existing artwork – the artist is not required to create new work.
- 8 designs
- 17.25×21.25 in, portrait orientation
- black and white only
Gladstone House’s use of the designs is non-exclusive – the artist can use/sell the images elsewhere.
Artist fee and approximate number of works:
- $400 for use of 8 images/designs. Gladstone House will coordinate and pay for production of the backlit films. (Photo shows backlits with images of Patti Smith, David Bowie, Stevie Nicks.)
Melody Bar Backlit Panels
#3 The Broadview Hotel display case
Exhibition Dates: January 4 – June 30 (6 months)
Located on the 4th floor, this wall recessed display case is lit from within and has glass shelves. Work is presented behind locked doors. The shelves are suited for small sculptures or functional work.
Materials: glass, ceramic, wood, or other sculptural materials
Maximum size: approximately 12x12x12 inches per object
Artist fee: approximately 9-18 works, $600
- This call is open to professional artists* in Toronto and region (approximately 50km radius from Toronto).
- Gladstone House is committed to equity and diversity. Qualified applicants with diverse identities and lived experiences are encouraged to apply.
- In order to offer opportunities to more artists, artists who exhibited work at Gladstone House in 2021 and 2022 are not eligible to apply.
* The Canada Council defines a professional artist as an artist who:
- has specialized training in the artistic field (not necessarily in academic institutions)
- is recognized as a professional by his or her peers (artists working in the same artistic tradition)
- is committed to devoting more time to artistic activity, if possible financially
- has [some] history of public presentation or publication [including exhibitions as part of post-secondary coursework or thesis]
- 3-4 images of works. For exhibitions that require more works, the artist should have additional works available in the body of work.
- Artist statement. Maximum 100 words.
- Artist bio. Maximum 75 words.
- To apply, complete the online application form.
- The artist is required to deliver and pick up work from Gladstone House or The Broadview Hotel.
- Artwork will be installed by the Hotels.
- While on site, artwork is covered by the Hotel’s insurance
Submission deadline: Sunday September 18, 2022, 11:59pm EST
Please email Lee Petrie, Curator, Gladstone House | The Broadview Hotel, email@example.com
Gladstone House, 1214 Queen Street West, Toronto ON M6J 1J6 @gladstonehouseto
The Broadview Hotel, 106 Broadview Avenue, Toronto ON M4M 2G1 @broadviewhotel